Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 16th, 2012

So this week had a lot of ups and downs! I guess I will just start out with the bad. It usually always has to do with bikes. Tuesday night my front tire went flat and then on Wednesday my back tire went flat. Haha just some bad luck. Me and my companion added up how much I have spent on my bike in these 2 months here in Minneola and it is way too much! And the part that really stunk was how many times we got bashed this week. Usually by baptists. We set up a lesson with some people and it just turned out to be a bash (which we kind of expected), then we got bashed at a couple of door steps, by a guy on the street, then a guy last night as we were riding home said that he liked what we were doing but he just wanted to remind us that it is not by works that we are saved. That is probably the thing I dislike the most to hear. The people that bash us usually know soooooooo much about the bible, but so many people have so many different views on scripture interpretation and just things like that. The nice thing is that we always have The Book of Mormon to go back to. No matter how many times people come up with scriptures that may sound good or things to tell us how we are wrong, I have always had my testimony of The Book of Mormon to fall back on. It has been such a blessing out on my mission. And my testimony in it has strengthened so much. I am glad that Heavenly Father gave us The Book of Mormon and the spirit so that we can know of its truthfulness instead of making us rely on our own wisdom and our own translation of scriptures. He truly is a loving Father.

Even though we got bashed this week probably more than ever, there was a lot of cool things that happened. We had the opportunity to go to a community college and share our beliefs with two world religion classes. That was REALLY FUN! We were able to teach a lot of doctrine and where it all comes from. And a lot of people were actually attentively listening. At the end we had a question and answer period. Most of the questions had to do with what we do on missions and our lifestyle and then about our "mormon underwear". It was really fun though and everyone was really nice. It was a great opportunity.

Another interesting thing that happened this week was we taught a member of our ward going to the Olympics for the 100 meter dash. He is in our ward and is visiting from Ireland to train here in Florida at some place called the NTC that I think is pretty popular. He is training with the Tyson Gay (America's fastest 100 meter runner) and other really good Americans and some Caribbeans. He said they are the best in the world, so he is training with them. He said he is the only white guy there haha. But it is pretty cool because I guess "BBC" (British Broadcasting Company) which I think is pretty huge in Europe, is going to interview him on his religious beliefs and other stuff, so that is pretty cool. So it is always cool to know someone famous haha.

I really love being out here in Florida! I know it is where I am suppose to be even though it always isn't easy. My testimony has increased so much in so little time. I have learned how real prayer is, that afflictions are for our benefit, that the Atonement is for everyone and anyone, and much much more. I am so grateful for every one's support and love and prayers. I have felt them everyday out here. I love serving a mission and the Lord has blessed not only me for doing it, but I know that he is also blessing my family back home. I am grateful for my family and all their love and patience with me. I hope all is well. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church of Jesus Christ once again established on the earth. I know that being a member of it takes a lot of sacrifice and hard work, but that is how we learn how to one day be more like our Savior Jesus Christ.

Love and miss you all!
Elder Christiansen

No comments:

Post a Comment